The protection of our patients, staff and the community we serve is our highest priority. Consistent with updated guidance from the Department of Health, we are now able to welcome visitors back to University Hospital within the guidelines and precautions below.
Patients may now have one visitor at a time. Exceptions exist in the following limited circumstances (subject to change):
- If the patient is a minor, in which case both parents or guardians shall be granted visitation.
- Labor & Delivery patients, in addition to having one support person, may have the support of a doula during childbirth.
Visitors to University Hospital must abide by the following rules:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Will be screened for flu-like symptoms, such as fever, cough, or shortness of breath. If a person presents with any of these symptoms, they will not be granted access at the sole discretion of University Hospital
- Visitors will be presented with a mask and any other appropriate PPE, as determined by University Hospital staff. Any visitor who refuses to wear a mask and other PPE, as determined, will be asked to leave the facility.
- All visitors must perform hand hygiene before visiting any patient.
- Once granted visitation to University Hospital, visitors shall remain in the patient's room (or Emergency Department bay) as much as possible throughout the visit, except when directed by staff to leave. Visitors may use the cafeteria and other amenities available to patients or visitors.
- Visitors may not be present during procedures or in the recovery room, except for pediatrics, childbirth, and patients with an intellectual, developmental, or other cognitive disability.
- Same day surgery or procedure patients, except for pediatrics, childbirth, and patients with an intellectual, developmental, or other cognitive disability, may have one support person. The support person may remain with the patient through the initial intake process and may rejoin the patient for the discharge process.
- Outpatients to University Hospital may be accompanied by one adult. Visitors may wait for the patient in a designated waiting area (subject to available space), while the patient is having their procedure.
- All visitors must comply with all reasonable requirements imposed by University Hospital to minimize the potential spread of infection.
- University Hospital retains sole discretion to amend these policies at any time, as well as grant exceptions on a limited case-by-case basis.
Generally, at this time, only one visitor is permitted at University Hospital, and only when authorized as outlined above.
No visitiors below the age of 18.
No visitors with a fever or cough.
Visiting Hours will end no later than 8pm.
To further protect our patients and staff, and reduce or eliminate non-urgent activities:
- Educational events, classes and workshops have been temporarily suspended.
University Hospital will screen everyone, including staff, before they are granted access to the hospital. Screening will include general health questions and a temperature check.
Entrance may be denied based on any of the following symptoms:
- Fever > 100.4
- New cough
- New shortness of breath
- New muscle aches
- Throat pain
To enforce this procedure, entrance to the hospital will be limited. The following entrances remain open to staff:
- EMS entrance - 24 hours
- Main walk-in entrance - 6 AM to Midnight
- ED walk in entrance - 24 hours
- B- Level tunnel UH side - 6 AM to Midnight
- C- Level Dental Clinic - 6 AM to Midnight
- UH Cafeteria and NJMS Door - 6 AM to Midnight